May is Asian Pacific American Heritage Month. According to AsianPacificHeritage.gov, this is the definition of this month which was proposed in 1977.
May is Asian-Pacific American Heritage Month – a celebration of Asians and Pacific Islanders in the United States. A rather broad term, Asian-Pacific encompasses all of the Asian continent and the Pacific islands of Melanesia (New Guinea, New Caledonia, Vanuatu, Fiji and the Solomon Islands), Micronesia (Marianas, Guam, Wake Island, Palau, Marshall Islands, Kiribati, Nauru and the Federated States of Micronesia) and Polynesia (New Zealand, Hawaiian Islands, Rotuma, Midway Islands, Samoa, American Samoa, Tonga, Tuvalu, Cook Islands, French Polynesia and Easter Island).
There are so many activities, every weekend there is something to do to celebrate. And I’m sure there are more than I have found.
I made bold the events which seem to be specifically for Asian Pacific Heritage Month.
- Thursday May 2: Asian Pacific Heritage Month Concert at George Mason U. (VA)
- Saturday May 4: Passport DC: Embassy Tour (DC)
- Saturday May 4: Kids World Cinema: China and Germany at the Goethe Institute (DC)
- Saturday May 4: Fiesta Asia @ Silver Spring in Downtown Silver Spring (MD)
- Saturday May 4: Asian Pacific American Heritage Month Family Day Festival, Smithsonian (DC)
- Sunday May 5: Korean Children’s Day at the Smithsonian (DC)
- Saturday May 11: Heritage India (VA)
- Sunday May 12: Heritage India (VA)
- Sunday May 12: Fiesta Asia Planet Family, National Zoo (DC)
- Saturday May 18: Fiesta Asia Street Fair (DC)
- Saturday May 18: Washington DC Dragon Boat Festival (DC)
- Sunday May 19: Washington DC Dragon Boat Festival (DC)
- Thursday May 23: Shen Wei Dance Arts, Kennedy Center (DC)
- Friday May 24: Shen Wei Dance Arts, Kennedy Center (DC)
- Saturday May 25: Shen Wei Dance Arts, Kennedy Center (DC)
- Saturday May 25: Port Discovery: Asian Pacific Heritage Celebration (MD)
- Saturday May 25: Performances to Celebrate Kyrgyzstan and Central Asia (MD)
- Tuesday May 28: Fiesta Asia Film Festival (DC)
- Wednesday May 29: Fiesta Asia Film Festival (DC)
- Wednesday May 29: Message from and Unknown Chinese Mother (DC)
- Thursday May 30: Fiesta Asia Film Festival (DC)
- Thursday May 30: Mayor Gray’s Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month Celebration (DC)
My child is only 5, so I have only been to two of these events. I have been to Fiesta Asia @ Silver Spring, which is a small, one-stage event with a one block long street market. What I like about it, is its size, small and you can see everything up close and personal. We have been the last 2 or 3 years.
The other event I have been to is the Dragon Boat Races. This takes place along the waterfront in Foggy Bottom at Thompson s Boat House. We went on a Sunday one year, but I vowed I would like to go back on a Saturday. On Saturday, they let spectators try out the dragon boats! And that is what I really wanted to do. I’m not sure how old you have to be to try out the dragon boats. They provide the life-vest and the paddle.
May is such a full month for so many things, from Asian things, to Mother’s Day things to gardening events to Embassy tours. So everyone has to pick and choose a little of this and a little of that. I hope this list helps you find an event to celebrate Asian Pacific American Heritage Month.